On today’s radio show with Glenn Wheeler on 2GB we talked about the rise and rise of action cams and how they are a great device to capture not just the extreme cliff jumping, parasailing, or F1 driving antics of extreme sportspeople, but also for people like you and me.
Action Cams provide a great perspective that you sometimes will not get if you try and shoot with a standard point-and-shoot or your smartphone. Especially for those travelling, the size and ease of use of action cams make them the perfect solution for hands free recording of personal moments.
Here’s a few I’ve picked and edited into a short video, that hopefully shows you the breadth of possibilities from and decidedly non-sports person like myself (aside from the odd run around the bay!).
Here’s what is shown on this 2 minute video. With an action cam, you can:
1. Drive a car around a half-ready road race track at a leisurely 40 km/hr then speed it up 4 times to impress your friends.
2. Zen out with your kid in a kayak off the shores of a Pacific Island.
3. Give yourself a legitimate reason to bring a spare pair of underwear to a thrill park.
4. Capture some cool underwater moments with your kid.
5. Share what it’s like to be in the crowd during a Rob Zombie concert.
6. Put your action cam on your son’s head to see the world from a kid’s perspective (hint: they’re always looking up at the world).
Hopefully I’ve proven there’s nothing to stop anyone trying out an action cam if they were unsure of their fitness or extreme-ness! Enjoy, and until next time!